I’ve been experimenting a lot with different chia seed pudding combos lately. And I’ve found a lot that I’ve really liked: peaches and cream, peanut butter and banana, dark chocolate and cherry. But none that I’ve loved. Until now, with this Matcha Chia Pudding. Bold, flavourful and bursting with a ton of health benefits—this is the stuff you wanna wake up to.
Medical school has made me obsessed with understanding the human body and its functions to the fullest—and I mean down to every single (and often times insignificant) little detail. However, it has also made me EXTREMELY curious about certain health foods and our body’s reactions to them. How certain things we consume (ex. matcha and amla powder) can affect our bodily systems—from hormone release to blood pressure to skin rejuvenation—I’ve been on a mission to learn it all.
And curiosity has recently led me to Amla Powder—also known as the Indian Gooseberry or Phyllanthus Embilca . This stuff is truly amazing for you.
But I’m not going to sit here and write the science behind this magical stuff and put you to to REM sleep – but what I will do is give you the top 10 reasons on WHY you should love this stuff and why you should be incorporating it into your daily diets.
- Indigestion – Dried Amla is an excellent digestive, which can be consumed after meals.
- Amla is rich in antibacterial qualities; it helps the body fight better against infection and also builds up your immunity, which makes you more resistant to diseases.
- Skin and hair rejuvination.
- Natural remedy for dandruff and lice
- Scientists at the Ferrara University in Italy have found that amla extracts slow the activity of osteoclasts, the cells that break down bone.
- Due to its strong, cooling and laxative properties Amla is useful for remedies for diarrhea and dysentery
- Amla helps to get relief for gastric syndrome and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in abdomen).
- Fever remedy
- Bodily protection from radiation
- Amla prevents health related hyperlipidaemia through attenuating oxidative stress in the ageing process.
Adding Amla powder to your daily diet is quite simple. You can add it anywhere really—ideally mixed in smoothies, or sprinkled on top of soups or this matcha chia pudding for instance! You just add one tsp at a time (5 ml) . The easiest method to get your Amla powder fix is to just mix 1 tsp of it in a glass of water.
Now onto the recipe:
Matcha Green Tea Chia Pudding
2 cups almond milk (or regular milk will do too!)
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp matcha powder
6 tbsp chia seeds
Garnishes (fruits & nuts)
1. Blend the milk, sweetener, vanilla, and matcha together in a blender till smooth.
2. our the liquid over the chia seeds. Stir thoroughly. Stir again every few minutes for the next 10-15 minutes. Then allow the mixture to sit in the fridge for minimum 3 hours or ideally overnight .
3. Stir the mixture once more, and serve with your desired garnishes (fruits, nuts, etc).
What an amazing thing to get to wake up to .