These muffins make a great breakfast option or go-to snack . Oh, and they’re pretty darn healthy too!
I made a few health conscious tweaks in the original recipe; omitted oil for apple sauce, whole wheat flour in place of white flour, and brown sugar instead of white. Now now, no need for an applause ;).
Each muffin average out to about 170 calls and 5 g of protein; trust me, they’re quite filling.
Oatmeal Raspberry Muffins w/ Walnut Oat Streusel (Recipe adapted from Monique at Ambitious Kitchen)
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 heaping cup unsweetened natural applesauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 1/4 cup raspberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon of flax
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with liners and coat the inside of them with cooking spray
- In a large bowl combine you flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Now set them aside.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, oil, brown sugar, egg, and almond milk. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Please do not over mix!! The batter should be a little lumpy. Gently fold in those wonderful walnuts and raspberries.
- Now make the topping by combining the oats, flour, butter, cinnamon and flax in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon over each muffin.
- Bake muffins for 15-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean .
Enjoy, guilt-free. Perhaps, with your morning cup of coffee.