It’s that time of the year again where our new years resolutions start slipping and our excuses strengthening.
Especially for me. Between medical school , my job, this blog and writing for 3 other website weekly—I’ve exhausted myself. Sleep has become a luxury, and the more I tire myself the more easily I sink back into my bad eating habits.
Today I had a brownie craving, bad. It was one of those cravings that haunts you from the moment you think of it till the moment you finally give in and feed it .
So, I gave in . I made brownies. But I made them healthy. I substituted whole wheat for regular flour, yogurt & avocado for butter, and stevia for sugar.
Healthy Whole Wheat Avocado & Pomegranate Brownies
Adapted from undressed skeleton
1 Medium Avocado
3 Medium Eggs
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup of Unsweeted Cocoa Powder
100 ml Hot Water
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1 tsp of Almond Extract
6 oz Vanilla Yogurt
6 Packets Stevia (or 12 ml of sugar)
3 tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
2 Tbsp of Pomegranate seeds
41/2 Tbsp Honey or Agave
1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees
2. Add the egg, avocado, and yogurt to a mixing bowl and mix on high until just combined. Mix in the vanilla and Stevia. If you don’t have stevia, sugar will be just fine.
3. In a separate bowl, add the water to the cocoa powder and mix. Your looking for an icing like consistency here. Add more water if needed.
4. Mix the chocolate mixture to the avocado mixture and mix until combined.
5. Add in the flour and mix again. Now add in the agave or the honey.
6. Pour in a greased pan. I used a 9 x 9 square pan. Sprinkle with chocolate and bake for 20-25 minutes, or just until your avocado brownies have passed the toothpick test.
7. Sprinkle again with fresh pomegranates and let cool before cutting. (approx. 30 minutes) These pieces of heaven are best kept in the refrigerator.
Avocado is such a brilliant substitution to butter. I promise you won’t even be able to taste it. The cocoa is so dominant that all you taste is chocolate and more chocolate 🙂
Back to studying I go. Happy Wednesday everyone!