I had mad fried rice cravings today.
Though, I just couldn’t bear to ruin this mornings workout with a dish full of sodium and carbohydrates. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a healthy version of this Asian classic.
I substituted quinoa for white rice and Organika’s Organic Coconut Sauce for soy sauce. This coconut sauce is 2014’s must have product—not only is it soy free but also 80% less sodium than your average soy sauce.
Quinoa & Edamame Fried Rice (Serves 2)
1 cup leftover cooked quinoa
1/4 cup cooked edamame (deshelled)
1/4 cup of shredded carrots
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 onions, diced
2 tbsp Organika’s Organic Coconut Sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
green onions (garnish)
1. Cook quinoa as directed on package. Once cooked, let stand (without lid) for 10 minutes to slightly dry out the quinoa. This allows for a crispier fried rice.
2. Add a few tsp of Olive Oil to a pan on high heat. Cook onions, garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add in carrots and edamame. Cook on high heat for an extra minute.
3. Gently incooperate the Quinoa to the vegetable mixture. Next, move the mixture to the sides of the pan to make space for the egg. Once ready break egg into the pan and scramble, eventually incorporating into mixture.
5. Add the coconut sauce and sesame oil. Fry on high for a few minutes until crispy. Taste first, and only then add more soy sauce if needed.
6. Garnish with green onions and sriracha (optional).
Indulge guiltlessly my friends.