Hey guys! It’s currently 10:30 pm and i’m busy studying some dermatology but I thought I would take a little break and blog about Meatless Mondays. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it’s basically just a day of the week where you give your body a little rest from all that weekly meat consumption. I started partaking in meatless Mondays last year and have been trying my best to stick to it weekly.
Many people think that meat is the best source of protein, and while it is an excellent source, there are still other ways to get it . Take for example beans or quinoa or this bean and quinoa meatball concoction ;).
I promise this dish wont let you down on Meatless Monday
Zucchini Pasta with Meatless Quinoa & Bean Meatballs (Serves 4)
4 small zucchini, spiralized. If you don’t have a spiralizer just cut with a vegetable peeler in strips.
Quinoa Meatless Balls Ingredients
Makes 24 to 30 Meatballs
1 tablespoon olive oil
3⁄4 cup onion
diced 1 clove garlic
minced 1⁄2 cup chopped, sun-dried tomatoes
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon, dried)
1⁄2 cup cooked beans ( I use red kidney beans)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Half cup of pasta sauce of your choice (marinara, spaghetti, pesto, etc)
Quinoa Meatless Balls
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion and garlic are translucent (5 minutes).
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, quinoa, oregano, and beans to the pan. Stir until everything is warm and evenly mixed, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse to combine, and then process until the ingredients are mostly uniform, about a minute.
- Roll the ingredients into 1-inch balls. Let them sit for 30 minutes. While you wait, preheat the oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Next top the meatballs with some pasta sauce or the sauce of your choice. Place the balls on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they’re lightly browned and nicely cooked in their pasta sauce.
- Top the zucchini with the meatballs and enjoy. Add more sauce to your tasting.
** for the zucchini you can either eat it raw or you can cook it a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds. Personally, I prefer it raw.
I really feel like I’m giving my body a breather and feel lighter and more energized by cutting out meat once a week. I hope I can get to a place in the near future where I can do this a few times a week.
Ok..enough rambling and more studying.