Oh, you guys. I am so sorry. I’m embarrassed really. The last time I logged on here was in January. My life has been so busy, believe me. I feel like I need to fill you in on everything that’s happened during the last half year, but can we do it over Salted Pretzel Caramel Brownies, please?
This year of med school has exhausted me and pushed me to every limit- both emotionally and mentally. Pharmacology was by far the most gruesome course- imagine all the drugs we have. Now imagine memorizing all their names, mechanisms of action, interactions and adverse effects. There’s hundreds. There’s thousands.
Did you just lose your appetite too? Me too.
But Pharmacology aside, I had much more enjoyable courses too. Paediatrics was wonderful with the “little humans” and internal medicine was thrilling and a new adventure each week. Immunology was as dry as a bone and perhaps my most hated course while Dermatology was everything I ever imagined it to be since I was a little girl. There were many highs and lows.
Living in Wroclaw for another year was also another adventure on its own. I think i’ve told you about it, but the city is peaceful and humble and relaxed. It’s not high paced like Vancouver and after 3.5 years of living there i’m STILL learning from the Europeans how to live more simple and carefree.
Ok, I think you will want to know a bit about the brownies now. Well, these brownies are really something, Actually s
cratch that, they are everything. Dark rich and chocolatey with sweetness from the caramel and saltiness/crunch from the pretzels. A match made in matrimony.
Dark Chocolate Pretzel Brownies
For the Brownies:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips ( I used dark)
1 batch of caramel
A few handfuls of whole salted pretzels.
For the Caramel:
* I cheated and used a can of Krowka (polish caramel)- it’s so good and makes life a little easier. But if you want to be ambitious and make your own caramel- try this recipe .
NOTE: if you are making salted caramel then buy unsalted pretzels or vice versa!
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease an 8×8 inch square pan (I lined mine with parchment paper so that I could lift them out easily, but you don’t have to).
2. Combine the two sugars and the butter and cook in the microwave until the butter is melted. Keep a watchful eye. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla
4. Combine the cocoa, flour, salt, and soda and add to the butter mixture, mixing until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or toothpick clean .
I made these for the manny/mayweather fight a few months ago and the crowd agreed they were the perfect game grub. I hope you’ll give these a try for your next event- I promise they won’t be leaving you disappointed.
Ok you lovely people, I must go now. Oh and by the way- IM IN VANCOUVER! I missed my city more than anything. These mountains are my home and it’s good to be back home 🙂